[Histonet] Mucin containing cells too blue

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Jan 22 14:46:55 CST 2008

Greg,

Don't assume that "fresh hematoxylin (and thererfore correct pH) would
rectify the problem". Incorrect pH of the Haematoxylin is the usual
problem. A feature of a haematoxylin solution that has a high pH is the
staining of mucin, especially in the alimentary tract. Decreasing the pH
of the staining solution to about 2.5 will decrease this mucin staining.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
The Children's Hospital at Westmead,
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, 2145, AUSTRALIA.
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318