[Histonet] Who can perform Histology Duties

Esther Peters esther.peters <@t> verizon.net
Sun Jan 13 16:22:13 CST 2008

Terry,

Enjoyed your comments.  Training, continuing education, and especially
knowing when you should refer to someone else are key in any profession!

Regarding "norma,l" the pathologists are not using "some sort of mealy
mouthed evasion" but they know that there is a "range" of normalcy when
identifying the condition of cells and tissues, because of individual
variation, age, reproductive status, nutritional status, etc.  Just
think of the wide range in values for what are considered "nondiseased"
levels of various blood parameters.  I once corresponded with a
professor of histology, who told me he only knew "normal" and didn't
know anything about pathology.  But if you don't understand structural
changes indicating diseases, are you sure you can recognize "normal"?

Esther Peters, Ph.D.
George Mason University