[Histonet] Response to humor differences, etc.

Edwards, R.E. ree3 <@t> leicester.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 11:09:07 CST 2008

"Emoticons", weren't  they the  baddies  in  an  early episode of Dr.
Who?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kathleen
Roberts
Sent: 10 January 2008 16:59
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Response to humor differences, etc.

Actually, in my experience, it isn't just a Histonet thing, it's an
ONLINE thing.  No matter what forum or list you're on, there is always
misunderstanding, fights and flaming b/c two crucial things are missing
in online forums: tone of voice and facial expressions. (Yes, even when
those are present, misunderstandings, etc. still occur.)  Emoticons
don't even begin to cut it, and sometimes when a person is reading
something, his/her mood, opinions, experience, etc. will  "color" what's
being read and thus influence the person's understanding of what was
written, which the author never intended and can't control.  I can't
tell you how many times that has happened to me.

Kathleen Roberts

Dawson, Glen wrote:

>Humor IS shared by both Americans and British, as is misinterpretation,
misunderstanding and becoming indignant/offended over the strangest
things.

>It isn't an Americans vs. the British thing, it's a histonet thing.
Over-reactions are rampant and one should be aware that having a sense
of humor should have a "Use at your own risk" sign when utilizing it on
this forum.  In every group there will always be a number of folks more
interested in attacking what is being said by others rather than
contributing something of their own.

>Each year this trend gets a bit worse & I find myself "replying to all"
less and less.  Posting to an individual usually causes less of a stir
so that is the road I take much more these days.