[Histonet] Who can perform which job functions

godsgalnow <@t> aol.com godsgalnow <@t> aol.com
Thu Jan 10 08:00:20 CST 2008

Embedding is a critical step, but is considered moderate complexity.  This would just separate functionality between a technician and a technologist.

Roxanne

-----Original Message-----
From: Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
To: Sharon.Davis-Devine <Sharon.Davis-Devine <@t> carle.com>; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 8:21 am
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Who can perform which job functions

Embedding determines HOW a piece of tissue if to be oriented, and that is a
ecision NOT for a lab assistant, no matter how well trained it is.
 Cutting is perhaps the CORE of the functions in histology. The one who is
utting gets to decide which sections to keep and which to discard FOR EVER and
hat is another decision that an assistant could not do properly.
 Performing special stains and IHC involves deciding also if the reaction took
lace or not.
 The above just to explain why I think that those are tasks that only a well
rained histotech should perform. I realize that there are lab assistants with
exceptional" abilities, but to those what they have to do is to get a license.
 In short: NO I don't think that any of those tasks should be performed by an
ssistant.
 René J.
"Sharon.Davis-Devine" <Sharon.Davis-Devine <@t> carle.com> wrote:
 Ok, all of you Histonetters I have another question for you. Who the
istology laboratory can perform these job functions: embedding,
utting, performing special stains and IHC? Can a lab assistant perform
hese duties if properly trained or do you have to be classified as a
istotech in training? Can a Cytotech or Med Tech perform such duties,
gain if properly trained? All opinions and references to such
equirements would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon Davis-Devine, CT (ASCP)
Cytology Supervisor
Carle Clinic
602 West University