[Histonet] Who can perform which job functions

anthony <@t> histotechexchange.com anthony <@t> histotechexchange.com
Wed Jan 9 19:11:21 CST 2008

Dear Bonnie:

I would just ask; is your position substantiated by the language of the
statute?

I refers to a Technologist(HTL) not a Technition (HT).

It will help me if I am wrong by the way, thanks for the help.

(a) Possess a current license as a laboratory technologist issued by
      the State, if such licensing exists; and
    (b)(1) Have earned a bachelor's degree in medical technology from an
      accredited university; or
    (2) Have successfully completed 3 years of academic study (a minimum
      of 90 semester hours or equivalent) in an accredited college or
      university, which met the specific requirements for entrance into a
      school of medical technology accredited by an accrediting agency
      approved by the Secretary, and has successfully completed a course of
      training of at least 12 months in such a school; or
    (3) Have earned a bachelor's degree in one of the chemical,
      physical, or biological sciences and, in addition, has at least 1 year
      of pertinent full-time laboratory experience or training, or both, in
      the specialty or subspecialty in which the individual performs
tests; or
    (4)(i) Have successfully completed 3 years (90 semester hours or
      equivalent) in an accredited college or university with the following
      distribution of courses--
    (A) For those whose training was completed before September 15,
      1963. At least 24 semester hours in chemistry and biology courses of
      which--
    (1) At least 6 semester hours were in inorganic chemistry and at
      least 3 semester hours were in other chemistry courses; and
    (2) At least 12 semester hours in biology courses pertinent to the
      medical sciences; or
    (B) For those whose training was completed after September 14, 1963.
    (1) 16 semester hours in chemistry courses that included at least 6
      semester hours in inorganic chemistry and that are acceptable toward a
      major in chemistry;
    (2) 16 semester hours in biology courses that are pertinent to the
      medical sciences and are acceptable toward a major in the biological
      sciences; and
    (3) 3 semester hours of mathematics; and
    (ii) Has experience, training, or both, covering several fields of
      medical laboratory work of at least 1 year and of such quality as to
      provide him or her with education and training in medical technology
      equivalent to that described in paragraphs (b)(1) and (2) of this
      section; or
    (5) With respect to individuals first qualifying before July 1,
      1971, the technologist--
    (i) Was performing the duties of a laboratory technologist at any
      time between July 1, 1961, and January 1, 1968, and
    (ii) Has had at least 10 years of pertinent laboratory experience
 prior to January 1, 1968. (This required experience may be met by
substitution of education for experience); or
    (6) Achieves a satisfactory grade in a proficiency examination
      approved by HHS.

Anthony Williams BSc. HT (ASCP)
Histotech Exchange LLC
19 Whitmore Street