[Histonet] GAG/Alcian blue - Staining intensity

bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Tue Jan 8 15:51:06 CST 2008

> Sorry Rene, but I must disagree.
Lowering the pH of AB solutions does NOT change the shade of blue obtained (check the solution with a
spectrophotometer), it DOES restrict the reaction to more highly sulphated GAGS and since there may be fewer of these
sites then the overall intensity may be reduced, but not the shade of colour.
I can show pictures of Mast cell granules stained at less than pH0.5 that are an intense blue.If the intensity of the
GAG/AB complex is pale then the best approach is to increase staining time to allow more dye molecules to agregate.

Bryan