AW: [Histonet] histochemistry an extinct art?

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sat Jan 5 15:25:03 CST 2008

I also think, that the old staining methods have their right to exist and
are an important part of modern histology.
What I referred to in my former question were techniques like the
demonstration and identification of proteins, aminoacids, enzymes, pigments.
For example, I have just Lillie's book (1953) in front of me. I find
protocols for the demonstration of arginin, tryptophan, urea, keratin,
keratohyalin, plasmalogen. Or in Pearses book (1968) ninhydrin, DNA, RNA,
ascorbic acid and so on. There are special fixations or cryotechniques
recommended. And sometimes a translater would be helpfull. Not only from
English to German, but also from trivialnames of reagenses.

Are these methods still in use anywhere? Or survived only those, that can be
done on FFPE-tissue?

Gudrun Lang

Biomed. Analytikerin
Histolabor