[Histonet] BAL specimens

Horn, Hazel V HornHV <@t> archildrens.org
Thu Jan 3 08:13:52 CST 2008

BAL specimens can be difficult to prepare.  Some are very thick and that
is probably the cause of the seeming poor preparation.   We process our
own cytospins so we have more control over the slide prep.  Sometimes
the preps need diluting, sometimes fewer drops need to be used or even
more drops when the specimen is not very cellular.

Hazel Horn
Hazel Horn, HT/HTL (ASCP)
Supervisor of Histology
Arkansas Children's Hospital
800 Marshall    Slot 820
Little Rock, AR   72202

phone   501.364.4240
fax        501.364.3912

visit us on the web at:    www.archildrens.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Houston,
Ronald
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:13 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] BAL specimens

Is anyone having difficulty with cells staying on the slide during GMS
staining? There is no problem with AFB, Gram, Oil Red O, Giemsa.

This is only something that has become troublesome within the last
couple of months. Our hematology lab insists they have not changed any
part of the cytospin preparation, although some of the preps look
suspicious for poor preparation with uneven cellular/exudate
distribution on the slide.

Ronnie Houston, MS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Manager
Nationwide Children's Hospital
700 Children's Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
(614) 722 5465
Ronald.Houston <@t> NationwideChildrens.org
Columbus Children's Hospital is now Nationwide Children's Hospital
www.NationwideChildrens.org <http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/>