[Histonet] Re: RED COUNTERSTAINS

Jacqui Detmar detmar <@t> mshri.on.ca
Fri Feb 29 11:38:44 CST 2008

Hi all.  I also bought some brazilin powder (from Anatech) and mixed it according to directions, and the initial results were disappointing.  I then prepared an alum brazilin solution (recommended by someone on Histonet, I think, but I'm at a conference right now and don't have access to my e-files! <grin>), which is pretty much the same way you would make alum hematoxylin, except you substitute brazilin for hematoxylin.  I remember having to use slight heating to get some of the powder into solution, and even then, not all of the brazilin went into solution (it falls to the bottom...I guess you could filter it, but I've never bothered).

I find that I get the best results if I stain my slides for 20-30 minutes in the alum brazilin, followed by tap-water washes and a final "blue-ing" in Scott's blueing solution for 30 seconds.  The result is a nice, raspberry-coloured stain.  The recipe for the brazilin solution is in the sheet given by the manufacturer.  I love this stain and I no longer use nuclear fast red.  The only time I've had trouble with it is with the von Kossa stain.  You *cannot* use brazilin after von Kossa...the stain goes away for some reason...you need to use methyl green or nuclear fast red.

I think that's about it!  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Jacqui

Jacqui Detmar, Post-doctoral Fellow
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, room 876
Mount Sinai Hospital
600 University Avenue,
Toronto, ON, Canada
M5G 1X5

Tel:       416-586-4800 x2451/x2290
Fax:      416-586-8588
email:   detmar <@t> mshri.on.ca

From: Geoff McAuliffe
Sent: Fri 2/29/2008 10:25 AM
To: Robert Richmond
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Re: RED COUNTERSTAINS

Hi Bob:

    I bought some Brazilliant recently and mixed it according to the
directions provided. The results were dissipointing, red-orange nuclei,
not very intense. The tissue was rabbit kidney fixed in
formalin-alcohol-acetic. An alum hematoxylin on the same tissue looks fine.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.