[Histonet] book & web site recommendations

Philip Oshel oshel1pe <@t> cmich.edu
Tue Feb 26 14:59:01 CST 2008

Listers,

I got a few answers from my request for class text recommendations.
Several people also mentioned the plethora of websites with basic
light microscopy information useful for introductory classes, so I've
included a few of my bookmarks.
It was nice to find the AFIP Methods manual still available, although
Kiernan's text isn't. (Arg!) Foster's book "Optimizing the Light
Microscope ..." is also out of print, although she still has a few
copies left (there may be a new edition sometime, possibly).
A major criterion was expense. There are lots of books available for
$80 to $100 and more, a few of which cover both the basics of light
microscopy and microscopes *and* microtechnique, but there are very
few of these in the light microscopy realm. Unlike the EM world.

Phil

Books:

Douglas Murphy; Fundamentals of Light Microscopy and Electronic
Imaging put out by Wiley.

Basic Methods in Microscopy: Protocols And Concepts from Cells, a
Laboratory Manual (Paperback)  David L. Spector (Editor), Robert D.
Goldman (Editor)

Introduction to Light Microscopy (Microscopy Handbooks) (Paperback)
by Mrs H Bradbury  Royal Microscopy Society

Contrast Techniques in Light Microscopy, by Bradbury & Bracegirdle
1996  Royal Microscopy Society
Plus, several of the other books in the RMS series

Microscope series by Mortimer Abramowitz
http://www.olympusamerica.com/seg_section/seg_emporiumbooks.asp

"Laboratory Methods in Histotechnology" E.B. Prophet et al.
AFIP LABORATORY METH  <=also known as
FS07
$35.00 + $5.00 shp
Prepayment is required on all orders. Fax your prepaid order to
1-301-578-1693.  If you would rather pay by check please mail your
order to:
AMERICAN REGISTRY OF PATHOLOGY
PUBLICATIONS DEPT.
PO BOX 8188
SILVER SPRING, MD  20907
We accept VISA, Master Card and American Express.
publications <@t> arppress.org

Web sites:
Nikon Microscopy U
http://www.microscopyu.com/sitemap.html