[Histonet] CAP guidelines

Tapper, Sheila J. STapper <@t> smdc.org
Thu Feb 21 16:10:16 CST 2008

I understand the two patient identifiers to be a JCAHO initiative.

We are required to use two patient identifiers in the phlebotomy area when collecting blood.  The patient is asked their name and birth date.  In the Anatomic Pathology area, we are asking that accessioners look not only at the patient name, but also confirm a second identifier, such as their birth date before they accession the case into the LIS.  In the case of similar names - it can and has made a difference.

Reading the CAP question - I would have to agree with Hector's interpretation.  The CAP question is only asking if the block is clearly identified with the accession number and any sub identifiers that tie the block to a specific specimen, in a legible manner that is capable of withstanding the chemicals it will be subjected to.  I have worked at labs that would submit 12 blocks of colon with only the accession number on the block, and nothing to identify the individual cassettes.  When the doc wanted deepers on a block - he would submit the slide, and the tech would match the slide to the block - very inefficient.  That has changed immensely over time - I am showing my age - but I am sure there are still labs that operate that way.

Sheila Tapper HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor

SMDC Clinical Laboratory
407 East First Street