[Histonet] Formalin and Xylene Free Histology - Any Info

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 19:22:48 CST 2008

My standard formalin alternative rant was sent privately ... if anyone is
interested see the archives. No sense reposting my redundant disagreement
with this concept!

Amos Brooks

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:08:54 -0500
From: "McKnight, Tanisha" <tanisha.mcknight <@t> covance.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Formalin and Xylene Free Histology - Any Info
       about Glyo      Fixx
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Hello Again:

I am looking into Microwave processing and using Glyo Fixx as the fixative.
I am starting a histology lab, pretty much from scratch, but I have very
little experience in using Formalin and Xylene alternatives. The question I
have concerning the Glyo Fixx is whether or not I will need to use the same
safety precautions we use when grossing/handling specimens fixed in
formalin. Does it still need to be grossed under a hood? Are the ventilation
requirements different.

If anyone here is using this, can you tell me how you handle this.

Tanisha N. McKnight, HT (ASCP)