[Histonet] HELP!! With tissue processing

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Wed Feb 20 12:15:40 CST 2008

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on fixing our biopsy
specimens that were "fried" last night during processing.

Someone put a 100% alcohol where the last xylene (before the paraffin)
should have been.  The problem was discovered during embedding.  At this
point, someone switched out the cleaning alcohol bottle with xylene, and
put the tissue through two changes of xylene on the clean cycle.  I
think this is what fried the tissues.  The tissue is very dry and
unreadable, and needless to say, the pathologists are livid!  I would
appreciate any help you can give.

Laurie Colbert