[Histonet] Pregnancy

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 19:36:53 CST 2008

this is a case of promoting people to a higher level of incompetence. It
fries my cookies that people get promoted to positions that  they have no
bother getting promoted to. I'm sorry you had to go through that and sorry
you had a rectum for a supervisor. I may not be the best manager, but I do
what's right by my people.

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robyn Vazquez" <vazquezr <@t> ohsu.edu>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; <andrea.stritmatter <@t> mdsinc.com>;
<doug <@t> ppspath.com>; <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:12 AM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Pregnancy

I wish this precautions were taken with me when I worked in Portland, OR  I
had a problem pregnancy and still required to change the Tissue Tek
chemicals, because "it wasn't fair".  I lost my baby at 5 ½ months.  And was
devastated, but still had to be back to work the next day, as not to put
anyone out as to pick up my load.  Plus there is more, but won't go into it.
Needless to say, my manager NEVER stepped in to help me.  Some managers need
to be more proactive with their pregnant employees, regardless if is
discriminating, use common sense.

>>> "Stritmatter, Andrea" <andrea.stritmatter <@t> mdsinc.com> 2/18/2008 12:46 PM
>>>  >>>
As a new mother of a 7 month old son and a manager of a histology lab, you
have to work with the pregnant individual on this.  It is discrimination (at
least in Washington state) if forbid them to work in the lab.  I chose not
to take x-rays or handle DAB during my pregnancy.  Otherwise I worked
normally in the lab.  I ended up with pregnancy complications and couldn't
stand all day so I did a lot of paperwork catch up too.  Ultimately, it's up
to the manager and the employee to work together to find duties you all
agree on.  Your HR department should be able to assist in this too.

Andrea Stritmatter, HTL(ASCP)
MDSPS