[Histonet] Calretinin

Anthony Reilly Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Tue Feb 19 17:05:11 CST 2008

Hi Amy

You are taking all of the right precautions to keep the sections on the slide.  If it is an intermittent  problem it may be related to the type of tissue being stained.  As Calretinin is used for the diagnosis of mesothelioma you may find that it is the cases when pleura or pleural plaques are being stained that are floating off.  Pleura by it's nature of being predominantly connective tissue and having little protein content is notorious for floating during IHC.

The only suggestions I could make to improve your capture rate are to make sure your sections are absolutely flat on the waterbath to ensure maximum attachment to the slide as pleura like other tougher tissue like cartilage can tend to cut thicker than the wax envelope in the block creating a wave like appearance to the tissue.  Secondly try drying your sections overnight at 37C.  This will slow down your TAT but beats restaining.   Thirdly, if you get really desperate investigate other methods of HIER as this is the step most likely to cause loss of tissue from the slides.  There have been a number of papers written on using lower temperatures for longer periods ie 70C for a couple of hours instead of 100C for 20-30 minutes.

regards

Tony Reilly
Chief Scientist
Anatomical Pathology
Pathology Queensland
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Ipswich Rd,
Woolloongabba Q 4102
Australia
Ph: 07 32402412
Fax:0732402930
tony_reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au ( mailto:073240tony_reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au )

>>> "Senn, Amy R" <arsenn <@t> hsh.org> 20/02/2008 2:34 am >>>
Hi Histoland....

We are having some problems with our Calret stains.

Our patient tissue keeps floating off & we are not sure what we're doing
wrong (if anything!)

We do use charged slides.

We float the tissue out in a separate water bath with pure DI water.

We allow the slides to stand upright for 30 minutes to air dry, and then
put them in a 62 degree oven for another 30 minutes.

We are careful not to over-handle the slides at anytime, and we make
sure our hands are clean and lotion free.

Sometimes, for weeks and weeks, the tissue is right where we put it when
it comes off the stainer.  Other times, for weeks and weeks, it's gone.
And it's only the patient--the control is where's it's supposed to be.

Is there something we're missing?  Something else we can try??

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Amy S.

Histotech, Histology Laboratory

Holy Spirit Hospital

503 N. 21st Street

Camp Hill, PA  17011

(717) 763-2124

Cell: (724) 494-2237

Confidentiality Disclaimer: The information contained in this communication may be confidential,
is intended for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you
received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete
the original message and any copy of it from your computer system. Thank You

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is
confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and
you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/
received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or
review of this email is strictly prohibited.  The information
contained in this email, including any attachment sent with
it, may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it
relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have
received this email in error, you are asked to immediately
notify the sender by telephone collect on Australia
+61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also
delete this email, and any copies, from your computer
system network and destroy any hard copies produced.

If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy,
distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of
disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this
email is also prohibited.

Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to
ensure this email does not contain malicious software,
Queensland Health does not accept responsibility for the
consequences if any person's computer inadvertently suffers
any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is
infected with a virus, other malicious computer programme or
code that may occur as a consequence of receiving this
email.

Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views
of the sender and not the views of the Queensland Government.