[Histonet] Lean Histology

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 13:54:48 CST 2008

As you very well said "histology is a different animal". It is not that "common sense" changes can be done under the "lean umbrella" like higher efficiency at every step, but the real "unitary or quasi unitary" workflow is out of the question.
  The ones that have approached closest to the implementation of Lean in histology is Sakura with their Xpress and it has been done will small batches (of 40 cassettes the most) but batching cannot be eliminated.
  All in all Lean isn't suitable for processes that require a high degree of craftmanship, as histology does (remember the step called secioning?).
  Artisanship takes time, and any creative process trades inefficiency for creative results, and that is the realm of histology.
  Sakura has an automated embedding center and Kurado company has developed an instrument (the Kurado AS200) to section, but only specimens the are standard and for multiple sections, like controls.
  We are a long way from Lean, we are closer to Six Sigma and all its controls and QA steps.
  René J.

Jesus Ellin <JEllin <@t> yumaregional.org> wrote:
  Was wondering if anyone can share with me experiences were your lab has
gone through the LEAN process,,, shots coming, pit fall,, road blocks,
or even improvements. Currently our organization is under going a
culture change, as we are seen through out health care and we are being
asked (TOLD) to embrance theses concepts,, been through lean trainging
for the clinical lab, but really see histology as a different animal.
So wanting to get some adive on this portion of the lab.

Jesus Ellin HT/PA ASCP
Yuma Regional Medical Center

This message is confidential, intended only for the named
recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged
or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error,
or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender
at either the e-mail, fax, address, or telephone number
listed above and delete this e-mail from your computer.
Thank you.