[Histonet] Re: Pregnancy

Laurie Popp laurie <@t> conxis.com
Tue Feb 19 11:43:23 CST 2008

Hi all... Happy Tuesday

Pregnancy seems to be in the water in our lab, I have a happy ( although
not so happy today due to teething) 6 month old, our QC person just
delivered on Valentine's day, our histology instructor delivered the
week after new year's, and we have 3 more pregnant currently within our
lab.  We also have been in the process of remodeling our space and
moving into new areas.  All of our techs do everything within the lab
from specials all the way through to grossing and right now because of
some design flaws the pregnant techs are restricted from grossing due to
ventilation issues with the new downdraft tables in gross cutting.  When
I was pregnant I let my physician know that I was working in histology
and what chemicals I was exposed to.  I tried to limit my exposure to
formalin, B5 ( we use this on our bone marrows), and some of the
different staining solutions ( zenker's and so on) and when I did have
to work in those areas I made sure to follow universal precautions and
wore appropriate PPE.  One of the docs that I was working with has a sub
specialty in chemical exposures during pregnancy and told me that this
would be acceptable as I was a student during my pregnancy so I had to
rotate through all areas of the lab prior to completing my course.

( I should also add I was high risk but it would behoove anyone  to
communicate workplace information with  their OB/GYN when they first
find out they are expecting).   I spent a lot of time cutting and
embedding :-)

Laurie Popp
HT ( ASCP) Mayo Clinic