[Histonet] Now what?

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Tue Feb 19 10:58:52 CST 2008

How would you handle this if everyone comes in at different times?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:55 AM
To: CrochiereSteve <@t> aol.com; histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Now what?

Divide the workload equally amongst all and keep track of finishing time and quality.
  The"excess time" (time left after everything is finished by all) use it for training in special procedures and tasks arounf the lab.
  You will have shortened the TAT for the pathologists and hopefully everybody will be happy.
  And you will have also increased productivity since the tasks will be completed in less time.
  René J.

CrochiereSteve <@t> aol.com wrote:
  I recently began keeping track of workload units in my lab in an attempt to
boost the productivity of the staff. In the past I or another tech would do
approximately one half of the workload, while the other three techs would pick up
the remainder between them. Since I started keeping track of who did what,
the underperformers workload has increased and mine has dropped to half of what
it had previously been. Sounds great, right? Well, the plan has backfired a
little when the three low performers ganged up on my best tech and accused her
of monopolizing the work so that they couldn't keep up. I would have expected
the opposite, where they would push the lowest ranked tech into pulling their
weight. This is not used in any evaluations or merit based bonus. It was just a
social experiment on my part. Now my question is: What do I do to smooth out
the ruffled feathers of all involved, but keep the work flowing? If I need to
dole out equal portions to everyone, production will be delayed and quality
will go down. If I allow those who can do more to do so, morale will suffer. Any
suggestions?
Steven M. Crochiere, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
LifePath Partners @ Mercy Medical Center