[Histonet] Pregnancy

Dawson, Glen GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com
Mon Feb 18 13:04:10 CST 2008

All,

Wouldn't keeping a pregnant worker out of the lab be a form of discrimination?  I've worked many different jobs (employed by Manpower temp services in college) and I can honestly say that my current lab would easily be the "healthiest" environment that I've worked in so far.  Perhaps if ventilation is poor and chemical spills are commonplace in a lab, it's not the place for a pregnant woman.  But then again, if the lab is too dangerous for a pregnant person, maybe it's too dangerous for all of us.  Sort of reminds me of those "Baby On Board" signs for your car that encourage drivers to run into another car since they don't have a baby riding along.

Just a Thought,

Glen Dawson
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Liz
Chlipala
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 11:45 AM
To: Douglas D Deltour; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Pregnancy

Douglas

If I had a tech that was pregnant I would keep them out of the lab.  One
of our local pharmaceutical companies had a tech that was pregnant and
they were told they could not work in the lab.  I'm not sure if there
are any regs associated with this, but for me personally and as a
business owner I would just prefer to keep them out of the lab.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
P.O. Box 18592