[Histonet] GMS and Bouin's fixation

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 16 17:43:27 CST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Paul
Bradbury
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:53 AM
To: alineumann <@t> aol.com; HistoNet Server
Subject: [Histonet] GMS and Bouin's fixation

Hi Alice,

Logically, there may be a conflict between fixing tissues in Bouin's and
successful demonstration of fungi using a methemamine silver technique.
This is my reasoning:

Bouin has long been the recommended fixative for glycogen and proteoglygans
which are best demonstrated by the PAS reaction. In the PAS, carbohydrate
groups are oxidised by periodic acid to form aldehydes, which in turn react
with Schiff reagent to produce the magenta colour. Periodic acid, as a 1%
solution at room temperature, will oxidize these groups only as far as the
aldehyde stage.

The methenamine silver is essentially a modification of that same concept,
but using chromic acid and an unstable silver solution in place of the
periodic acid and Schiff reagent. In the methenamine silver technique, the
carbohydrates in the capsule surrounding the fungal elements are oxidized to
form aldehydes which reduce the silver solution to produce visible deposits
of silver. Prolonged treatment with chromic acid will over-oxidize the
carbohydrates to carboxyl groups which are non-reactive with the silver
solution.

There may well be a reaction between the picric acid in Bouin's fixative and
carbohydrates. Picric acid is a potent oxidizer and may begin the oxidation
of the carbohydrate groups in the fungal capsule. When the sections are
further oxidized by chromic acid, the fungal walls become over-oxidized and
form non-reactive carboxyl groups.
It may be worth trying a much shorter chromic acid treatment on Bouin's
fixed tissues to see if this will leave the carbohydrates in the fungi at
the aldehyde stage.

Most methenamine silver techniques suggest a 60 minutes treatment in 5%
chromic acid at room temperature. In the case of Bouin-fixed tissues, I
would suggest running a trial using a range of chromic acid times from 10-40
minutes to see if the fungi are still reactive with one of the shorter
oxidation times.

I would be very interested to know if this solves your problem.

Paul Bradbury
Kamloops, BC
Canada