[Histonet] Perl's Prussian blue Iron stain

Paul Bradbury histology.bc <@t> shaw.ca
Thu Feb 14 09:01:19 CST 2008

Hi Ryan,

A couple of comments regarding iron "staining". First, the demonstration
of iron using the Perls' procedure is not a staining technique. It is a
histochemical reaction between the ferric ions and potassium ferro
cyanide, the visible end product is ferric ferro cyanide (also known as
Prussian blue). This end product is permanent and will not fade under
normal conditions.

Iron in any form in blocks and sections is remarkably stable. You can
store sections for years, or you can stain them immediately after drying
following cutting.

Nuclear fast red is an inherently pale nuclear stain. It is popular as a
counterstain in the Perls' procedure because it is so unlikely to mask
any very fine iron reactions. Some of the other red nuclear stain, such
as neutral red or saffranin, are more potent and will produce much more
non-nuclear coloration unless they are washed throughly after staining.

If your control is liver, you may anticipate pale reactions all round.
Liver generally, unless it is from a case involving an iron-storage
disease, has very little demonstrable iron. Also, the nuclei of
hepatocytes stain very pale as their chromatin is very diffuse.

Lastly, regarding your staining procedure. I would suggest the following:

    Xylene - 2 changes - 3 minutes each
    100% Alcohol - 3 changes - 1 minute each
    95% alcohol - 1 change - 1 minute
    Distilled water - 2 changes - 1 minutes each (to remove any
contaminant iron from other sources)
    Ferrocyanide/HCl working solution - 20 minutes
    Distilled water - 2 changes - 1 minute each
    Continue with the other steps that you currently use, they are just
fine.

Paul Bradbury,
Kamloops, Canada