[Histonet] Re: Histology Grade Solvents

Carl Hobbs carl.hobbs <@t> kcl.ac.uk
Fri Feb 8 13:26:50 CST 2008

I agree with Allen.
Xylene is a good example, that I understand: "histological grade" is low in
sulphur. Many years ago, I found that when I used xylene that was not low in
sulphur, my H&Es after a week or so, showed great nuclear staining but...the
eosin had "disappeared"! ( I cleared sections in this xylene and mounted in
DPX that had been thinned in same xylene)
"Fit for the purpose"......I always liked that phrase ;-)
I love being a Histologist but, in context, my only regret is that I am not
also a Bio/Chemist!
Horobin, Pearce, Lake, Kiernan...where are your Successors?

Rene, it's Friday I noticed ;-)
Carl
PS: Rene, many thanks for your tips re my wax/tissue separation problem.
Equal thanks to Gayle. Sure, not solved but, that's my job to go figure it
out, using helpful hints and tips from Histonet!
Thanks.