[Histonet] Do mice have tonsils??

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Tue Feb 5 18:49:57 CST 2008

Colleen,

Rodents do NOT have tonsils, but have tissues analogous (Sp?) to tonsils,
called nasal associated lymphoid tissues located in a rather difficult spot
at the back of the nasal turbinates.  I suggest you get into the literature
and type in murine NALT as there are some excellent articles on morphology
and their location.  If you want to do frozen sections, you either need to
remove these from this area, not easy to do, and takes a lot of practice OR
you can do undecalcified bone frozen sections with the Cryojane.  The NALT
is located above the soft palate, just below the 3rd  palatine ridge if you
start counting ridges on the soft palate and starting count at the front
incisors.  These tiny lymphoid tissues are nestled on the roof of the mouth,
just below the soft palate, between the back molars.  The molars are the
complicating factor for doing murine CD markers that only work on frozen
sections. I will be happy to send you a powerpoint photograph of a fully
decalcified mouse head, mid sagittal section, stained with H&E to show
exactly where the NALT is located.  I also have a cross section of the
murine nasal turbinates showing NALT in that orientation, and much harder to
deal with in order to find the NALT.  One project had PLP perfused mouse
head, immersion fixed longer and then EDTA decalcified, cryoprotected and
sectioned on the cryostat to do immunoglobulin staining of turbinate
epithelial cells back and into the NALT.

We work with NALT a good deal, and I can honestly say that
dissection/removal is not easy.  However, it can be done but with very
gentle, light touch using a pointed, tiny scalpel blade. When we do frozen
sections of removed NALT, we can obtain approx 30 - 40 sections, serial, at
5 um and with treated animals to produce inflammed NALT, up to 50 and more
serial sections.  With undecalcified bone, we get far fewer due to the
difficulty of sectioning.

G0 into PUBMED, and look for David Pascual, Keri Cscentis on their NALT
publication.  I believe they put a cartoon of NALT location in that
publication.

Good luck,

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)