[Histonet] citrisolce and H&E quality, help please?

Madary, Joseph MadaryJ <@t> MedImmune.com
Mon Feb 4 12:19:00 CST 2008

Hey histo experts(I used to think I was one, but I gave it up), Okay I
started working part time in this lab that has been empty for a couple
of months. Stuff sitting in barely enough NBF. They do not have much to
work with as far as getting me a bunch of new stuff right now, even
expendables.  So I combined the stuff in the 2 processors, and rotated a
couple of alcohols, clearing, paraffins, and did a run, cut and
everything was fine except I had to use a xylene sub.  My problem is I
used an aliquot of hematoxylin from a batch I had been using with
success, and made of fresh eosin and the stains just looked average.
Little eosin phloxine pick up and yes I used acetic but most did not
even pick up.  The only difference in what I did at this new place is
the new place uses citrisolve in all the processing, depar, thru
coverslipping.  I found enough xylene to use for covering, but I was
just not happy with the stain.  And all the stain line reagents were
from new containers.  I opened up new everything.  I have not used Hemo
de since the 80's.  I hate subs personally.  Terpenes are a neurotoxin
and although I cannot do much more damage and would like to use the 5
neurons I have left, one for processing, embedding, cutting, staining
and coffee breaks.  So can this citrisolve stuff be the problem?  Can
even processing in it and depar mean I need to use something different
for my HE, times, formulas?  I am frustrated to say the lease, but I
just started so I have time to figure things out.  In the meantime any
help would be appreciated.

Nick Madary, HT/HTL(ASCP)QIHC

Histology Mgr, Medimmune

301.398.6113(lab), 4745(vm),9745(fax)

"To the extent this electronic communication or any of its attachments
contain information that is not in the public domain, such information
is considered by MedImmune to be confidential and proprietary, and
expected to be used only by the individual(s) for whom it is intended.
If you have received this electronic communication in error, please
reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and delete the
original message and any accompanying documents from your system
immediately, without copying, reviewing or otherwise using them for any
purpose.  Thank you for your cooperation."