[Histonet] subbing slides

Susan Bachus susanbachus <@t> verizon.net
Tue Dec 30 17:34:49 CST 2008

Well, the attachment seems to have been deleted from what I sent, so here it
is pasted below:
Gelatin-Subbed slides WEAR GLOVES! (not to protect your hands, but to
protect the slides from RNase from your skin)

  a.. Place slides in racks and soak in hot tap water and soap (e.g.
dishwashing soap, or Alconox) for at least 1 hr, but not more than a few
hours (as soap could leave residue).
  b.. Rinse thoroughly in hot tap water until suds are completely gone.
  c.. Let sit in 80% ethanol for at least one hr. This solution can be
re-used until it turns cloudy. Slides can be left overnight in this
solution.
  d.. Rinse in a few changes of deionized water.
  e.. Subbing solution: Dissolve 3.0 g of gelatin (300 bloom swine) in 150
ml deionized H2O by stirring while heating to 50 degrees C. Add 450 ml
deionized water to cool, and then dissolve 0.3 g CrK(SO4)2*12H2O ("chrom
alum") in the solution.
  f.. Filter this solution through Whatman Type I filter paper to remove any
air bubbles. This solution is only good for the few hrs it will take for
this batch of slides, as it will quickly solidify.
  g.. Dip the slides into the subbing solution, drain the slides onto a
paper towel and allow to air dry for 1 hr.
  h.. Dip the slides into the subbing solution again. Drain and cover
loosely with bench paper and allow to dry for a few hours.
  i.. When thoroughly dry, heat in oven at ~ 50 degrees C for a few hours,
then store the slides in slide boxes in zip-lock bags. As long as they are
kept dry, they should be good for years.