[Histonet] Re: Masson trichrome stain

Robert Richmond RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Tue Dec 30 15:12:17 CST 2008

Hi Tony Henwood and all!

I'm only familiar with the Van Gieson stain as a counterstain for
Verhoeff's hematoxylin, the elastic stain.

Reproducibility is extremely important in evaluating fibrosis in liver
biopsy specimens from hepatitis C patients (most common indication for
liver biopsy in many places), since the extent of fibrosis determines
whether the patient gets the very arduous year-long treatment or not.
And I think the standard, at least in the USA, is the sort of blue
trichrome stain standardized a good many years ago by Klatskin and his
disciples.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN