[Histonet] Slide drying

Bonner, Janet Janet.Bonner <@t> FLHOSP.ORG
Mon Dec 22 14:03:41 CST 2008

Our Pathologists hold onto the case slides until the cases are complete.  If they order stains or recuts, they hold on to the slides until the specials or recuts have been received.
    We also have a drying system where we have a set of shelves with spaces designated by 100's and sort the slides according to case number by 100s.  They dry until the numbers cycle around.  When we have to find a case, we only have to look through 20 trays instead of the whole shebang.
     Toluene based coverslipped slides usually take three days to dry.  The xylene based coverslipped slides take about two weeks.
      Janet

Janet L. Bonner, HTL (ASCP)
Pathology Laboratory

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Martin, Erin
Sent: Mon 12/22/2008 2:45 PM
To: Michael Mihalik; histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Slide drying

Hi all,

They want them filed that fast because when they order recuts, stains, etc, they want the entire case set up again with the new orders and since we do 400-500 cassettes/day it would take too long for the clerical staff to look through slide flats to fine the original H&Es.  Since they are divided between different docs so the flats are would not follow numerical order...  I know it's expecting a lot to think that slides would be ready for file so fast.  I needed some other opinions to show them.

Thanks,
Erin