[Histonet] Isopentane

Joanne Mauger MAUGER <@t> email.chop.edu
Wed Dec 17 07:50:13 CST 2008

In my experience, liquid nitrogen makes a lot of freezing artifact in
muscle tissue. I have found no better substitue for isopentane if you
want quality morphology in you specimen. We store it in an explosion
proof cabinet.
Jo Mauger

>>> "Tony Henwood" <AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au> 12/16/08 6:19 PM >>>
Try liquid nitrogen

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dana
Settembre
Sent: Wednesday, 17 December 2008 5:27 AM
To: carmen loiselle; pathology education
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Isopentane

Hello Carmen,
Sorry I have no alternative.  I know most labs use that.
When I worked in a neuropathology lab the isopentane was kept in the
refrigerator - an explosion proof one. I believe that means there's no
lightbulb inside and no inner working of a lightbulb inside either.

Dana Settembre, HT ASCP
Immunohistochemistry Lab
UMDNJ - University Hospital
Newark, NJ    USA

>>> carmen loiselle <carmen_loiselle <@t> hotmail.com> 12/16/08 12:24 PM

Hello ,

I currently work in a neuromuscular lab and all muscle biopsies
received
should be cut frozen, no formalin fixed tissues.  My concern though,
is
to work with isopentane , a well known excellent heat conductor but
also
it has the bad reputation of being very explosive.
In fact , I've been told that few years ago, a lab close by of where I
work , did explode because of this solution.  Is there , in your
knowledge, any other chemical we can use as replacement and that give
as
good results.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Merry XMas to all and happy New Year

addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and
notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the
individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's
Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been
virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The
Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any
consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.