[Histonet] RE: (reply) silly questions.---PFA

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 16:07:41 CST 2008

tf,
=20
Answers as follows:
Seems obvious that the 4% formaldehyde (made from PFA) was incorrectly made=
. What they did, I have no idea nor did I have the time to show them how to=
 make it up. My advice: "make it from concentrated 38% formaldehyde (formal=
in)".
=20
=20
You wrote: "I do think most biomedical labs currently are using PFA to prep=
are the fixatives!" - I do not think so. A sweeping statement if ever I hav=
e heard one. This s the type of misinformation that we have to deal with. M=
y experience (over 30 years) indicates that all pathology labs I have worke=
d in as well as those I have visited, as well as several Pathology Colleges=
 (eg CAP and RCPA) surveys indicate that MOST (if not all) histopathology l=
abs prepare their 10% formalin fixative from concentrated formalin not poly=
formaldehyde as you have incorrectly stated.=20
=20
Be careful of misinformation.
=20

Regards=20

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)=20
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist=20
Tel: 612 9845 3306=20
Fax: 612 9845 3318=20
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA=20