[Histonet] Isopentane

Dana Settembre settembr <@t> umdnj.edu
Tue Dec 16 12:27:13 CST 2008

Hello Carmen,
Sorry I have no alternative.  I know most labs use that.
When I worked in a neuropathology lab the isopentane was kept in the
refrigerator - an explosion proof one.
I believe that means there's no lightbulb inside and no inner working
of a lightbulb inside either.

Dana Settembre, HT ASCP
Immunohistochemistry Lab
UMDNJ - University Hospital
Newark, NJ    USA

>>> carmen loiselle <carmen_loiselle <@t> hotmail.com> 12/16/08 12:24 PM

Hello ,

I currently work in a neuromuscular lab and all muscle biopsies
received should be cut frozen, no formalin fixed tissues.  My concern
though, is to work with isopentane , a well known excellent heat
conductor but also it has the bad reputation of being very explosive.
In fact , I've been told that few years ago, a lab close by of where I
work , did explode because of this solution.  Is there , in your
knowledge, any other chemical we can use as replacement and that give as
good results.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Merry XMas to all and happy New Year