More on Re: [Histonet] Reduction of autofluorescence using glycine

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Sat Dec 13 17:45:47 CST 2008

For information on how (chemically) aldehyde fixatives cause
autofluorescence and also a link to JAK  e.g. John A Kiernan in Histonet
archives, access the Wright Cell Imaging Facility, Toronto Western Resedarch
Institute.  This website is linked via www.IHCworld and simply found by
Googling aldehyde induced autofluorescence.  You will find protocols for
reducing fixative induced fluorescence, and a tutorial on natural to
aldehyde induced autofluorescence, plus a great deal more on the subject.
There is also an excellent reference list.

As for a quick chemical explanatioon on how the aldehyde groups are gotten
rid of is "by reducing the -CHO groups to -OH with sodium borohydride or as
they stated, "feeding [the aldehyde groups] bland amino groups" e.g. glycine
or lysine.

This has been discussed at length on Histonet in the past, and by searching
with key words, you will probably pick up John Kiernan's comments, plus a
reference on a Review of Autofluorescence.   If anyone needs the latter
publication, I will be happy to send via personal email.

As for increased background with ABC methods or DAB, Jules Elias's book says
antibodies can bind to free aldehyde groups, and the tissue can be
pretreated in the same way as labs do when working with immunofluorescence.
One would need to determine if the background is caused by another source
(endogenous biotin, nonspecific binding of antibodies to tissue
immunoglobulins, or overdevelopment of DAB) so if the pretreatment to get
rid of free aldhehydes doesn't work and background still exists - then the
sleuthing continues.   Gluteraldehyde is the worst offender, along with long
fixation in NBF, or warm temperatures during NBF fixation.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL(ASCP)HT,MT
Bozeman MT