[Histonet] Silly Question? - Need help quickly!

Susan Bachus susanbachus <@t> verizon.net
Fri Dec 12 19:32:03 CST 2008

I tried earlier to send, for this thread, a wonderful paper by Nauta,
chronicaling the history his discovery of his tract tracing method, in which
serendipity and degradation of formalin played critical roles, not realizing
that the size of the attachment would prevent it from going through, so I am
trying again with a URL for this paper:
http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/reprint/13/4/1337

Susan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene J Buesa" <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
To: "Pat Flannery" <pjfnefro <@t> duke.edu>; <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>;
"Weems, Joyce" <JWeems <@t> sjha.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:58 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Silly Question? - Need help quickly!

Joyce:
Methanal, which is the chemical name of formaldehyde, polymerizes. If it
forms a polymer of at least 50 molecules or more, it gets solid =
para-formaldehyde.
Formalin (a trade name as formol is also another trade name)is the 37-50%
aqueous solution of formaldehyde (with some additiveses to prevent
polymerization).
You can prepare BNF using the formalin solution or dissolving the amount of
solid para-formaldehydede to get to the concentrationon you desire.
The chemical in both solutions is the same = methanal or formaldehyde.René
J.