[Histonet] Silly Question?

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu Dec 11 14:53:12 CST 2008

Hi Pat:

    The differences are largely in the minds of the investigators.
Confusion comes from inexact nomenclature. One part of formaldehyde
(37-40%) plus 9 parts of buffer makes formalin or 10% formalin which is
about 4% formaldehyde. Yes, the 37-40% formaldehyde you buy has some
methanol added to keep it from polymerizing but it makes no difference
in the quality of fixation, especially given the (too) short times used
to fix clinical specimens. Sure, you can go to the trouble to make 4%
formaldehyde solution fresh from paraformaldehyde but for the vast
majority of applications it just does not matter.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.