[Histonet] Silly Question? - Need help quickly!

Merced Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Dec 11 12:18:43 CST 2008

So...is a polymer of paraformaldehyde considered "depolymerized" if it
remains somewhere between 1-50 molecules long once it's been  dissolved in
solution, however it's dissolved? (the dissolving being a separate topic of
debate on Histonet).  Does it matter for tissue fixation purposes if there
are formaldehyde chain lengths of 50 molecules present in solution - not
long enough to precipitate out, but perhaps long enough to affect its
penetration and fixing of tissues?  Any ideas?

Merced

--On Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:58 AM -0800 Rene J Buesa
<rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com> wrote:

> Joyce:
> Methanal, which is the chemical name of formaldehyde, polymerizes. If it
> forms a polymer of at least 50 molecules or more, it gets solid =
> para-formaldehyde. Formalin (a trade name as formol is also another trade
> name)is the 37-50% aqueous solution of formaldehyde (with some
> additiveses to prevent polymerization). You can prepare BNF using the
> formalin solution or dissolving the amount of solid para-formaldehydede
> to get to the concentrationon you desire. The chemical in both solutions
> is the same = methanal or formaldehyde.René J.

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 BRB (pkgs) / 140 Farber Hall (letters)
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

"Without my flaws I'm really very boring."
- random internet blog commentator