[Histonet] Primary works with ABC but not IF

John Steel steely0511 <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 17:37:06 CST 2008

Hi All,

I do agree with titration - try this first.  You may consider pre-blocking before use of the primary antibody.  In my experience, tryamide amplification is expensive, and may not be necessary - put this on the back burner.  Not sure on your specific applications, but am always interested in saving $$$$ while focusing on quality outcomes.

Bests regards,
John Steele

________________________________
From: Kim Merriam <kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com>
To: "Patten, Nicole (NIH/NIAAA) [F]" <pattennj <@t> mail.nih.gov>; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:05:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Primary works with ABC but not IF

Hi Nicole,

I don't know what kind of secondary antibody you are using, but we have had very good luck with the Alexa-Fluor secondaries.  Often, when you go from an amplified chromagenic method (such as ABC) to a less-amplified staining method (such as with a fluorescently-labeled secondary), the primary antibody needs to be retitrated.  Perhaps there is not enough amplification with a directly labeled seconday; you may need to add another lay or do additional amplification, such as with tyramide - we are having very good luck with Invitrogen's TSA kits that contain AlexaFluor dyes.  The Perkin Elmer FITC-TSA kits also work well, but cost about 3X as much as Invitrogens.

If you send more information about your staining protocols, we could probably give you more specific advice.

Kim
 Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Cambridge, MA