[Histonet] old slide disposal

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 15:25:28 CST 2008

Those regulations vary so widely that what I suggest you is to consult with your safety officer and follow his/her instructions.
René J.

--- On Wed, 12/10/08, Stacy McLaughlin <Stacy_McLaughlin <@t> cooley-dickinson.org> wrote:

From: Stacy McLaughlin <Stacy_McLaughlin <@t> cooley-dickinson.org>
Subject: [Histonet] old slide disposal
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 1:28 PM

We are going to dispose of very old histology slides.  I was told by our
environmental services manager that they were OK to box up and put them in a
trash compactor to go to the landfill. (as long as any names were blacked out to
avoid HIPAA violations).
2 years ago when we did this, I was told I had to put them in a sharps
container, inside of a biohazard box for incineration.

Quite a contrast of instructions!  Makes us feel quite uncomfortable.

Does any one know of any info on the regulations covering this topic?  How do
your institutions handle this?

Thanks for your help!!!

Stacy McLaughlin HT(ASCP)
Lead Histology Tech./Laboratory Safety