[Histonet] processing times

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 11:16:06 CST 2008

Kathleen:
Call me "dinosaur", but before starting to change your known procedures (that in time seem to be OK), answer yourself the following questions:

1- why do you want to reduce your TAT?
2- how short your protocols have to get in order to reduce your lab total TAT significantly?
3- what changes are going to be done in the REST of the work flow to assure a TAT reduction?
4- is tissue processing the only aspect to experience time reductions?

If you are satisfied with your answers, then go ahead with your protocol reductions (when you get answers to your initial question), but remember taht tissue processing is usually LESS than20% of the whole processing time, the rest are the PRE and POST processing tasks, how are you going to reduce them also?
René J.

--- On Mon, 12/8/08, Caleri, Kathleen <Kathleen.Caleri <@t> RoswellPark.org> wrote:

From: Caleri, Kathleen <Kathleen.Caleri <@t> RoswellPark.org>
Subject: [Histonet] processing times
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:27 AM

Hello-I have just started at Roswell Park Cancer Institute and we are
hoping to decrease our TAT by decreasing our processing times-having
come from a facility where we hadn't changed processor times in 20 years
I would appreciate it if someone could supply their schedules so I could
do a comparison...we currently do a short run for bx's (5 hr), a
standard surgical run (13 hr) , and a longer fatty/breast run (16 hr)

Regards,
Kate
Kathleen Caleri, BS, MLT, HT (ASCP)
Histology Lab Supervisor
Pathology
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
(716) 845-1329

"the future of mankind lies waiting for those who come to understand
their lives and take up their responsibilities to help others"

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent
responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this
email message is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your
computer. Thank you.