[Histonet] PFA preparation: Does dissolution also mean that the PFA has depolymerized?

ejschmid <@t> ucalgary.ca ejschmid <@t> ucalgary.ca
Mon Dec 8 10:19:35 CST 2008

Hi Merced,

Thanks for your reply. So then you manipulate pH rather than temperature
to ensure the dissolution of PFA. Does dissolution also mean that the PFA
has depolymerized? Are you saying heating to 60 degrees C is not required,
or that it is not recommended? I've been told that heating 'degrades' the
PFA and one wants to avoid this. But according to other sources, the
heating step is required to ensure that the PFA does in indeed degrade,
degrade into formaldehyde.

Eric

University of Calgary
Medical Sciences

We routinely add paraformaldehyde to alkaline water at room temperature