[Histonet] IHC on paraformaldehyde-fixed

Nicole Collette collette2 <@t> mail.llnl.gov
Thu Dec 4 18:40:33 CST 2008

Hi, All,

I have recently started doing IHC on whole-mount embryos, and one way
to fix them at harvest is in a typical formaldehyde/formalin
fixative, followed by short- or long-term storage in 100% methanol.
The alternative fixation protocol, for antigens that are sensitive to
formaldehyde/formalin, is to fix them in 4:1 methanol: DMSO- followed
again by short- or long-term storage in methanol. (BTW the protocol
works, at least for the antigens I have tested in my limited
experience). I guess a counterpoint to other comments...

CSH protocols; 2008; doi: 10.1101/pdb.prot 4820

Nicole Collette
LLNL
postdoc