[Histonet] IHC on paraformaldehyde-fixed

Yaskovich, Ruth A (NIH/NIDCR) [E] ryaskovich <@t> dir.nidcr.nih.gov
Thu Dec 4 08:42:07 CST 2008

We buffer our (4% paraformaldehyde). The animals are also perfused with
it. I know I tried to get the investigators to just use the 10% formalin
and not make up this stuff from scratch but have just given up.
Ruth
N.I.H.

-----Original Message-----
From: anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu [mailto:anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 9:31 AM
To: Tony Henwood; Jan Shivers; histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] IHC on paraformaldehyde-fixed

So true. However, be aware that 10% neutral buffered formalin we use has
methanol in it which may affect certain antigens so there may be some
difference in staining (hence why for mouse work we now only use 4% PFA
in pure PBS). It is good to be aware of the other ingredients in your
fixative solutions, whether commercially prepared or a homemaede recipe,
as it isn't only the formaldehyde fixative which can make a difference.