[Histonet] Re: H&E Staining for SPI-Chem Low Acid GMA

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Wed Aug 27 14:05:55 CDT 2008

We never had much plastic background staining with Gill 3 hematoxylin on
thin GMA tissue sections e.g. 1 to 3 um, and the staining time was never 30
minutes.  Even a thicker GMA section was stained no more than 10 minutes,
rinsed and blued with Scotts tap water, air dried then stained with eosin
phloxine. We never had to differentiate our hematoxylin with any kind of
acid HCL or acetic acid clarifier.   Your section will probably be totally
stained within 5 minutes, even with GMA media.  We never used clarifier but
the slight blue imparted to the plastic never was an  factor for viewing or
photography.   If your section is in the very thin thickness range, 30
minutes staining time is NOT going to make the nuclei bluer as there is just
not enough tissue there to stain in the first place. At that thickness you
are cutting through the nuclei.  The nuclei look more like nuclei in EPON
sections cut very thin (0.5 to 1 um thick).  HOwever, the longer the PLASTIC
is in the stain, the more likely this will pick the hematoxylin and cause
unsightly background.

We found eosin phloxine gave better tinctorial quality to the sections than
just eosin y.

Gayle M. Callis'
HTL,HT,MT(ASCP)