[Histonet] Training for gross

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 13:43:12 CDT 2008

Description ofno matter what type of specimen is considered a "high complexity task" and should be done by somebody with the required training. It is acceptable to have somebody with the qualifications you describe to be trained, but the training should be for the time required in the PA program. Another approach will be that the person is trained by another PA or by a pathologist. The best solution also would require that your medical director accepts the training type and period and that somebody supervises both the training and the descriptions done by the trainee during some period of time.
I personally never used anybody but a PA or a pathology resident to do the descriptions. Too many liability issues could be involved.
René J.

--- On Fri, 8/22/08, Sharon.Davis-Devine <Sharon.Davis-Devine <@t> carle.com> wrote:

From: Sharon.Davis-Devine <Sharon.Davis-Devine <@t> carle.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Training for gross
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Friday, August 22, 2008, 1:23 PM

For all of you Histonetters out there I have a question about training
individuals to gross in small specimens.  Can a person with a degree and
being a Cytotechnologist, Medical Technologist or a Histotechnologist
gross in small biopsy samples?  And if they can, what kind of training
is required and for how long?  We are losing one of our PA's and are
contemplating replacing that person with a person with a degree. Thanks
for the info.

Sharon Davis-Devine, CT (ASCP)

Cytology Supervisor

Carle Clinic