[Histonet] jones basement membrane stain

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 11:47:31 CDT 2008

It could be kit and the condition it is in. I for one never used kits, always prepared solutions myself. This could be the solution to your problems.
René J.

--- On Sat, 8/16/08, Bell, Mandy <Mandy.Bell <@t> chomp.org> wrote:

From: Bell, Mandy <Mandy.Bell <@t> chomp.org>
Subject: [Histonet] jones basement membrane stain
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Saturday, August 16, 2008, 12:40 PM

Hello.
I'm looking for any help on the Jones stain for basement membranes.
We're having trouble getting the basement membranes to stain dark enough, if
at all.  Here is our protocol (we are using a kit from American MasterTech):

0.5% Periodic Acid  11min
rinse 2 changes distilled water
methenamine silver (in a waterbath @ 65-70 degrees)
   ****we have tried varying the time by 15 minute increments ranging from 1
hour to 2 hours, 15min
   (we're checking the slides microscopically every ten minutes once the
section is brown)
rinse in distilled water
0.2% gold chloride 1 min
rinse in distilled water
3% sodium thiosulfate 2 min
rinse in distilled water
nuclear fast red 4 min
rinse
dehydrate and clear

Any help/ insight would be much appreciated!   Thanks !

Mandy M Bell
Histology Department

Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula

831.625.4791