[Histonet] Documenting control tissue source?

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Fri Aug 15 06:12:01 CDT 2008

We are finishing up our JCAHO inspection today.  The inspector asked about our control tissues and where we documented the source.  We get nearly all of our controls from patient samples and she said that most histo labs mark their control blocks with the source case number.  They then keep records of the control source used when staining new cases.  I can see no logical reason to keep this info.  You use a control appropriate for the element being stained.  Why does it matter where the control came from?  Am I wrong?  Do you do this?

Thanks.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems