[Histonet] Sliding Microtome Taking Random Thicker Sections

Dan Zadory dzadory <@t> epl-inc.com
Thu Aug 14 12:45:02 CDT 2008

Hello,

We have recently purchased an HM430 MICROM Sliding Microtome along with
the KS 34 Fast Freezing Unit. Recently, I have tried sectioning frozen
mouse brains at 40 microns and noticed after several cuts the Microtome
will take a random thicker section (I would have to say approximately
150-200 microns thick). I am unsure as to why it keeps doing this. The
knife is in the right position and all parts have been tightened. In
addition, I have the Fast Freezing Unit set to keep the stage at a
constant -22C. We placed a dehumidifier in the room since we thought the
humidity may play a role...but so far no luck. Any suggestions?

Daniel Zadory