[Histonet] camera for microscope

Robert Chiovetti rchiovetti <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 12:30:06 CDT 2008

Mary,

For general use and simple documentation, I've had good luck with both digital SLR's and some of the "prosumer" handheld digital cameras (such as the Canon PowerShot S3 and S5).  Good resoution, pretty faithful color reproduction, no significant problems.  Some of these cameras have TWAIN drivers, so you can even operate the camera from within Photoshop if you choose.

With the "prosumer" cameras, you'll have to play with the zoom settings to get a full field of view, but that's a minor concern.

There are a couple of vendors who specialize in adapters for these cameras; you can mate the camera to a scope's trinocular (photo) port if it's so equipped, but even in the absence of a photo port, you can get an adapter for the eyepiece tube...just remove an eyepiece, and slip the camera/adapter in place.

Most of these types of cameras will play digital games with the original image when you take a picture, meaning the image is interpolated...that's probably not the best situation if you plan on doing any kind of image analysis, statistics, measurement, etc. on the image.  But for basic documentation, a DSLR or prosumer camera works great!

My 2 cents' worth...

Contact me off-list if you need more info.

Bob

 Robert (Bob) Chiovetti, Ph.D.
Southwest Precision Instruments
www.swpinet.com
See What's New on Our Website!
Arizona's Microscopy Resource
132 North Elster Drive
Tucson, AZ 85710-3212
Tel./Fax 520-546-4986
Member, Arizona Small Business Association
(www.asba.com)