[Histonet] surveillance cameras in the lab

Troutman, Kenneth A kenneth.a.troutman <@t> Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Aug 4 11:03:17 CDT 2008

I used to work in a lab that had surveillance cameras.  At the time, we only had one that was over our single grossing station to monitor grossing.  (There were some missing tissue accusations that needed to be nipped in the bud, so to say...)  I eventually started managing the accessioning department and we installed 4 to monitor specimen receipt to see if anything was accidently thrown in the trash.  It was supposed to be a quick reference tool that was designed to keep us from digging in the biohazard trash unnecessarily, however, it proved to be more useful for catching employees napping!  (Yes, they were all aware that the cameras existed!)

As for cameras in the lab in general, you will probably have to ask upper management (or whoever made the decision to install them) why they are there.  Perhaps they may even tell you the answer.

Good luck.

Ashley Troutman BS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Histopathology Laboratory
Department of Pathology