[Histonet] HT schools

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Sat Aug 2 07:19:36 CDT 2008

our one community college program in San Antonio is in jeopardy of closing
because it can't get the required 10 students to make a class. If this
program does close, I will be willing to work with a college or university
with long- distance learning. I have 5 openings in my lab.

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene J Buesa" <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; "Amber McKenzie"
<amber.mckenzie <@t> gastrodocs.net>
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 2:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] HT schools

Wrong! The advantage of the "on line" or "distance learning" courses is that
they provide the theory on line while you are working at a given laboratory
doing your training (or even as part of your daily work) so there is no
"actual training" to be done by the supervisor.
At this moment NAACLS has 30 HT and 3 HTL accredited programs only, with an
overall capacity of about 300-325 students, and this will not be enough to
take care of all the retiring histotechs.
Costs is one of the reasons why the number of HTs schools is dwindling.
René J.