[Histonet] Number of blocks per case

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 07:47:36 CDT 2008

The number of blocks/case depend more on who is grossing than in the general setting. Residents use to put through more blocks, as well as in teaching institutions. Large reference labs, trying to expedite things and reduce the TAT, have less blocks/case.
The number vary from 1.3 to 5.0, with an average of 2.8 blocks/case
René J.

--- On Thu, 7/31/08, Artim, Kimberly <ArtimK <@t> slhn.org> wrote:

From: Artim, Kimberly <ArtimK <@t> slhn.org>
Subject: [Histonet] Number of blocks per case
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 3:05 PM

Could anyone share with me the average # of blocks per case at their
institution.  I would like figures from hospitals comparable to ours.  We are a
city hospital with approximately 25,000 routine surgical cases per year.  We
receive a wide range of specimens. 25% are derm, 25% are GI biopsies and the
rest are complex specimens.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Kim

the sole use of intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.