[Histonet] rat brain autofluorescence

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Tue Apr 29 10:46:30 CDT 2008

It sounds as though your fixation is very poor  per your sticky, melty
comment.

If you flush the brain with cryoprotectant right after the fixative you
probably not allowing the PFA to crosslink the antigens with sufficient
time, and fixative is washed out by the cryoprotectant.   We postfix brain
of hamsters/mice after perfusion by immersion in the fixative for additional
5 to 6 hours, maybe more would be better for you.   There are those who can
guide you through rat brain fixation.   The cryoprotection can be done at 4C
by immersing the brain overnight or longer AFTER the fixation is done, not
as a perfusion method.  Timing on cryoprotection of a rat brain should be
forthcoming from those working with this species.

I suggest you access this free booklet in pdf form from Clontech/BD
Bioscience website.   Just Google   Living Colors. ®. User Manual (PT2040-1)
www.clontech.com/images/pt/dis_vectors/PT3598-5.pdf .    There are excellent
troubleshooting guides for wtGFP, eGFP and other GFP chimeras.  There is a
discussion of the autofluorescence patterns you will see with GFP in
tissues/cells and staining protocols.

Also, there are suggestions on how to reduce autofluorescence on the
IHCWorld website other than what you use plus a summary of methods written
up by a gentleman, found in Histonet Archives.   If you want a review of
autofluorescence (privately attached) pertains directly to GFP but also
applicable to other fluorophores, I will be happy to send it to you.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
Bozeman MT 59715

More results from www.clontech.com »